IOM's Migrant Protection and Assistance Division (MPA) provides protection and assistance to migrants in need, including trafficked persons, smuggled migrants with protection needs, rejected asylum seekers, standed migrants, unaccompanied and separated migrant children, and migrants subjected to violence, exploitation or abuse.
MPA oversees policy and technical guiddance and provides programmatic support on following:
- analytics and data for evidence-based policy development and programming
- safe and dignified assisted voluntary return and sustainable reintegration
- countering human trafficking and protection to victims
- assistance to migrants who experienced or are vulnerable to abuse or exploitation
- protecting migrant children
- addressing exploitation in supply chains
- providing direct assistance
- Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR)
Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) refers to the orderly and humane return and sustainable reintegration of migrants who are unable or unwilling to remain in host or transit countries and wish to return to their countries. IOM within its MPA projects provides direct assistance to migrants who wish to return to their countries of origin, reintegration assistance to eligible migrants upon return and provides services to states to promote dialogue and cooperation among destination, transit and origin countries.
- Counter Trafficking
Within its other projects, IOM Kyrgyzstan partners with government, civil society, and relevant UN agencies to prevent trafficking, protect the victims and prosecute traffickers. IOM aims to decrease vulnerabilities, raise awareness on trafficking and unsafe migration, strengthen policies to ensure the protection of trafficked persons and advocate for their access to justice.
- Migrants in a Vulnerable Situation
Within its projects, IOM Kyrgyzstan works with different counterparts to protect and assist migrants in a situation of vulnerability and to take actions to mitigate and reduce this vulnerability and to implement protection mechanisms in line with international human rights standards.
SDGs covered by MPA: